“A social enterprise is a social business intervention that uses commercial business activities with the goal of advancing human and community development.”
Dr. Rasheda L. Weaver
Weaver’s Social Enterprise Directory is a celebration of organizations throughout the United States that are working towards creating positive social changes in our nation. Named after the creator, Dr Rasheda L. Weaver, Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Iona College in New York, the directory contains information about how social enterprises strive to address social problems, the goods and services they sell, and their legal structure. There are over 1,000 social enterprises that are currently featured, but it will be continuously updated on an annual basis.The directory is expected to feature at least 3,000 social enterprises by 2020.
The information in Weaver’s Social Enterprise Directory is valuable for:
- Social Entrepreneurs searching for information about social enterprises in specific geographic areas, which may facilitate collaborations, market research, and more.
- Proponents of Social Enterprises like policy makers, accelerators, angel/impact investors, networking organizations, or legal firms that may use the directory to aid or inform their work and investments.
- Civic Minded Consumers that want to identify social enterprises so they can engage in socially responsible consumerism.
- Job Seekers that aim to identify and work with socially conscious businesses.
- Educators that can use the directory for creating student projects, case studies, and for helping students choose internship opportunities.
- Researchers that need to locate and contact self-identifying social enterprises for research studies or to even conduct research on the directory itself.